Thursday, October 30, 2008

Solar dancer in the making


Yesterday I started work on a new project:A solar dancer.It is a very challenging build,more mechanically than electronically.The circuit itself is not a difficult one(I will post it later since I can't find it on the web right now).The tricky part is the balancing of the aluminium piece I'm using(including all the ad-ons).
Edit November 2nd:The Frankenvogel(as I named it)is as good as ready.I just need some feathers for the finishing touch.Today was a pretty sunny day so I had a chance to test it.
Weight is definately an issue when building these solar-dancers,mine gently moves,so the next one will be a much lighter build.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Windturbines:the sequel


After testing the two windturbines I've built I found out they generate so little energy that they're pretty much useless.It was fun building them though,and one of them(the anemometer type)now hangs on the outside of the house(just turning in the wind...)
I persevere in building one that might actually work one day.......

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Windturbines

I've finally started work on my very first windurbine,after reading many websites and books.It'll be a very small one because I think the housing cooperation won't appreciate me building a 10 footer!
So it'll be useful for charging a few batteries or lighting some leds only.I decided to make it a VAWT(Vertical Axis Wind Turbine)and maybe try a HAWT later.
For the motor I've picked one salvaged from a VCR,just spinning it by hand gave me about 5 V .
The shaft is piece of 20 mm PVC pipe(about 8 "),screwed on that are four pieces of Sintra.
The aluminium frame comes from an old oscilloscope.
Another smaller windturbine I'm building is basically an anemometer,again using a VCR motor.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New projects finished and in progress

A few days ago I finished yet another project(the Steampunk Forum is still offline so you got to do something...).This one started when I found an interesting looking piece of metal in one of my junkboxes.I wanted to use black as main "colour" and finally had a use for two black record-player arms.Another goal was to have the three motors run at varying speeds,which took some figuring out.
While building this project another immediately formed in my head.That one is inspired by the Whirling Dervishes of Turkey :

For this I selected three motors,but I already discovered that making them running at a slow enough speed is not an easy thing....

Thursday, October 09, 2008

New clock and decorative piece


For my livingroom I was need of a new clock that was more in style with the interior than the current one.So,after a bit of rummaging in various junk boxes I found the parts that being put together made an interesting looking piece(in my humble opinion).
The old clockwork is there just for decoration(it still works though),the face came off an old Westclox alarmclock.
I also put this piece together,just to show the beauty of the gears....

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Symets of sorts




This past week I've been busy building a few BEAM bots which are not quite symets but are using the same principle.They are best classified as fantasy robotic insects/creatures and are very addictive to build.I have built four so far,two of which have the Miller SE,the others are waiting for parts.
The first two haven't got their solarengines attached yet and the last one now has a few extra's.Otherwise it's just a motor standing up.......