Saturday, August 28, 2010

Solafloater....

I guess that is what you can the aquatic equivalent of the solaroller........This project is going very smoothly so far:the boat was made out of sheet metal(courtesy of a cooking oil can),the paddlewheels are constructed out of jar lids with pieces of aluminium epoxyed on there.The electronic part is up next....

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More progress on the sundancer

The good news is that it is almost finished:I made the stand using green Plexiglas® and only need to add the magnets to the dragonfly.The bad news is that the circuit stopped working and so far troubleshooting hasn't been successful.So now I have replaced the two  500 uF capacitors with a single 1000 uF one.See if that gives any results.

Monday, August 16, 2010

progress on the sundancer

I have spent many hours testing,building and rebuilding this project.The sundancer circuit I couldn't get to work(shameful admission),I tried it soldered together and on the breadboard,but both times it was a no go.
So I resorted to the trusted magbot pendulum circuit and after two tries it is working,which a bot of surprise considering the age of the components I'm using and how I'm using them.
The project is a dragonfly type creature where the components are part of the body,3 large capacitators(2 in parallel to make 1000 uF),some very old resistors,two LEDs(in parallel),two solarcells(also in parallel)and lots of long leads.
At the moment I'm working on the wings........

Thursday, August 05, 2010

New projects coming up......

For a competition on BEAM Bot forums(only a very few people participate alas..)a solar dancer,and to make things complicated for myself I'll make one with two flapping wings......Also planned is a box for my Dremel with it's many pieces.And finally a paddle wheel boat powered by a solar engine.......