Wednesday, February 25, 2009

New pummer finished



Even though I said awhile ago I wouldn't build any pummers for some time,here's another one.
I had a half finished circuit laying around so used that.Again I made it with a light bulb.
Two pieces of copper screwed together formed the basis,with a bigger steel part that I copper plated.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

BEAM robots and other junkbots on Makezine tv

The excellent Makezine TV shows this week how to make some Junkbots like a solaroller and beetlebot.


Thursday, February 19, 2009

Update on the projects

That little problem I had in the last post is now rectified.I've built 3 timer circuits in the past days and working on two projects to put them in:the,already mentioned,robot(but I need an extra part because somebody let the radio valve slip and the glass broke) and a simple flasher(glass bulb on a aluminium motor housing.
Also I've been looking at automata,something what I'll focus on after these projects.And I found a new artist that I admire:Tom Haney.
He even has a work titled:Tinguely's dream:

Sunday, February 15, 2009

New robot

Now that I've been testing and building the 555 timer circuits I also need a project to put them in.The first one will be some kind of robot made from:an enlarger part,the waterpump(?)from a espresso machine and a radio-tube.
On a side note:strangely enough after building successfully 2 timer circuits I seem now unable to make functioning ones.They work on the breadboard but after putting them together not anymore...hmm

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tinkering with timercircuits

These past few days I've been playing around about with 555 timer circuits on a breadboard.I think that they will be a very nice substitute for the pummer circuit(even though they lack the very nice fade in-fade out effect),easier to build with less components.
I also tried the 555 circuit with bi-colored LEDs,ideally the color would change automatically but for now it has to be done through a manual switch.And I finally got blue LEDs,so the next project will be with one of those.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Finishing The Poisoners Project



Now that project 2009-01 is finished it is time to finish one of my other projects:The Poisoners Project.I had a unfinished wooden box laying around and decided to clad that in aluminium sheet.The piece I have came off the bottom of an old aquarium and due to the fact it was laying outside for awhile had a nice oxidized surface.
All I need to do now is test the fountain and find a place to put the whole set.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The......is finished



This weekend I finished project 2009-01(but for some small cosmetic work),which was a pleasure to build.Stress free and it turned out the way I wanted it.
I haven't got a new project planned yet,at the moment I'm cleaning the Pifco lantern.That one turns out to be very rusted(no wonder it stopped working),with the outer housing in some spots rusted through.
I've removed the bottom for easy access and after a thorough cleaning will convert it into a LED lantern.