Friday, April 30, 2010

Pendulums........

After trying and testing my magbot spinner I came to the following conclusions:
A.I can not build a magbot spinner(yet)
B.I can not build a battery powered magbot circuit........
But the good news is that I can build a magbot pendulum so I guess that is what I am sticking to.
So the next project is a copper and brass magbot pendulum,and the one following that(or simultaneously )a double pendulum.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Improved noisemaker

In one of my previous posts I wrote about a rotating wind chime I made.But after a few months of winter weather I found out that the foam sheets I used were not meant for outside use(it's all part of  the learning  process),so I decided to remake it.
Instead of having four pieces it now has two curving aluminium ones(from a tanning bed).I also mounted  it on the side of my shed about 7 feet up where it can catch the wind very easily.

Friday, April 23, 2010

The double pendulum

Not too long ago Make magazine No.22 hit the shelves,I have the digital version,and one of the interesting things in it was the double pendulum.Something I wanted to build for awhile and I guess this was the sign it was time to do so.
I didn't had enough good bearings,just three instead of the 6 or 7 you need.But luckily I have enough spacers and other salvaged parts to create a pivoting point.After a few hours of work I cobbled together a working pendulum,but it needs some improvements and I'm thinking of buying some more bearings because these double pendulums are really fun things to make and watch.

Friday, April 16, 2010

New project:magbot non pendulum

One project which has been planned for a long time is a magbot spinner.I have one magbot pendulum already but a spinner needs less space(obviously).I have a couple magbot circuits already soldered together,so can go straight into the building of the frame part.......

Monday, April 05, 2010

New energy sources for Pummers....part II

So after creating the single voltaic cell,I made 5 and wired them in series,or in other words a battery.This worked out much better giving me 2.2 V which was enough to light up a red LED(but not brightly)but turned out not to be enough to get a pummer circuit working.
The next step therefore is constructing a larger battery,which I've just done:this time with 10 cells.In theory this should give me almost 4.5 V.We'll see.......